Wednesday, March 7, 2012

To the USA

March 3rd, 2012

At midnight we headed to the airport in Singapore and said our tearful goodbyes to Dirk and boarded the plane at 2:30AM heading to the USA.  Dylan's first time on American soil.

I had it all planned out, the car seat in one seat, the bassinet in front of me, my lap if needed.  I was prepared for war... but it turned out great and mildly easy.  Dylan did cry a couple times but was usually comforted with sitting in my lap, falling asleep to me singing to him.  He used the car seat only for about 4 hours total, not sure I would bring it again.  He loved the bassinet and slept most of the time in that except when we had turbulence then he was in my arms.  He watched his Baby Einstein videos, played with his toys, and had fun with mommy the rest of the time.

The only interesting parts were when I had to use the bathroom or when I wanted to eat.  We made due and let me tell you... mommy's hygiene was really lacking by the end of that flight.  I was able to sleep some and even watch one movie... it is not high on my list of things I would like to do over and over again, but all in all it was a success.

I just have to say a quick word about the people on the plane.  They were AMAZING!!  They helped me with my bags, helped me hold the baby, played with him... wonderful people I tell you!  These are the passengers, not the attendants, the attendants were actually not that helpful this time around like our New Zealand and Australia flights.  Everyone that sat around us for the whole 23 hours commented on what a great baby Dylan was and how lucky I am.  The lady behind us didn't want to move to another seat so she could play with him.  Really amazing people I tell you, God was really watching over us during that flight.

I was dreading this flight for weeks!  Like serious anxiety!  We were the ONLY infant on the plane and one of the few children.  It amazes me how we were the only one, usually all the moms and dads get up during the flight and let the babies play together and wear themselves out... nope just us on this one.

So the amazing plane ride has turned into some of the roughest nights of jet lag I have ever seen.  I knew this would be the worst part but WOW!  Tonight, night FOUR, I broke down and bought some earplugs and let him cry himself to sleep for an hour.  Mother of the Year right here!  I have to get some sleep somehow, I am going crazy!  He did go to sleep and hopefully this will get him on track.  I put him to sleep at midnight and he woke up crying uncontrollably at 1AM... finally asleep at 2AM.

Lord please have mercy on us, Dylan is one of the happiest babies I know and if my stupidity for bringing him 14 hours from his happy sleeping habits in Singapore makes him unhappy... I don't know...

I will leave you with this happy face, taken on Valentines Day at 6.5 months old.  Hopefully we will be back to this happy baby soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment