Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Yellow Brick Road

OR... the Road to Conception
So... this road is a little bumpy and it took 2.5 years after ridding my body of contraceptives.
The first hurdle was Febe the fibroid. Weighing in at just under 2 lbs and 4 tag along friends, we are free of fibroids since February 2009.
Let. the. fun. begin.
Actually we really never "tried" to conceive. We both knew if we planned something like this, it either wouldn't happen or would happen right away. So we just kind of went with it. So in November 2010. It happened! And let me tell you... we were both shocked! I still loved to be surprised and with situations that are really out of your control, they are the best!
Dirk and I had been traveling a lot, first to the U.S. for a home leave and then I went with work to Cambodia. It wasn't until after our company Christmas party that I had a suspicion that something was up. Even in Cambodia I was exhausted and not feeling my usual self. My boss even asked me if I could have been pregnant....
So somewhere in between Cambodia and preparing for our trip to the Maldives... a little pink lined showed up on one of those famous pee sticks. At first it was so faint that I literally called my friend (who was another nurse, like I didn't know the answer) and asked how positive is a positive test?? Then I totally freaked out because I had about one million travel vaccines before going to Cambodia, including all three rabies injections. Thankfully they were all killed vaccines. So after the initial freak out Dirk and I settled into the idea of parenthood.
The first 3 months were rough, really rough. Dirk even said, maybe this will be an only child?? He was actually hoping for twins. HA! I lost 8 lbs and eating really has been a chore, even now. It is a total lifestyle change. But maybe this is just getting you used to all the changes coming ahead.
Let. the. fun. really. begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment