Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Story....

if you want to call it that??

July 30th (Saturday), 2011

It started off rather normal, went to the beach in the morning with the Lyon's so Otto could play with his girlfriend (Bailey), pre-registered at the hospital (this was an important step), registered for cord blood banking, lunch at Dempsey Hill, purchased a dinner table but no chairs (couldn't find any I liked AND thought I had plenty of time to find some), and then went over to the Lyon's house for dinner.

So after dinner with the Lyon's, we came home and I was getting ready for bed when suddenly my mucus plug came out, dunt dunt dunn!! I called my mom for reassurance, I wasn't really going into labor (denial is great). She said call the doctor, so I did, and of coarse she was out of the country... GREAT!

The on-call doctor called back and said to come in and "just get checked". Ok, I can do that... so off we went. Dirk, by the way, is over the moon... he has wanted the baby to come early since 30 weeks!! I first took a shower and got all my stuff together, while Dirk packed everything but the kitchen sink, He. Was. Excited.

I arrived at the hospital, they put me on the monitor, I was only having a contraction every 30 minutes.... nothing to write home about. They checked me and I was only 1.5 cm dilated. GREAT! I can go home right?? WRONG! The on-call doctor wanted to play it safe due to my previous surgery. So here we go... UGH!

Being in healthcare, it is always interesting being on the receiving end of it.  I would have to say the most uncomfortable part of it all was the urine catheter... surgery pain, IV, post-op, contractions (didn't even know I was having them or that I was dilating)... all fine but that catheter hurt like hell!!

I got to the hospital at 10:30 and was in the operating room at midnight. Dylan was born at 12:44 AM.  I was out of surgery at 3 AM??? Hmmm...  Everything in between was a miracle!  I remember shaking uncontrollably, trying to calm myself down and everyone else trying to calm me down.  Even the sweet Muslim male OR tech...  Thankfully my pediatrician got there immediately, he is a doctor at the clinic I work at.  He reassured me that everything with the baby would be fine, no thanks to the typical Singaporean on-call doctor, she deserves a post in itself.

She walked in with her designer bag, leather pants, and done up to the nines...  I understand it was Saturday night but really?? You have to understand this culture of image and name brands... Dirk hated her from the get go, to say the least it was tense between them and I thought Dirk might have given her a piece of his mind.

Anyway... highlights, Dylan was born, the doctor held him up so Dirk could see and he totally reached for the baby covered in gunk... like he was going to take over from there, pretty funny :)  Dylan was perfect, small but perfect!  Dirk covered in his gortex suit was great!!  He really took over and calmed me down.  We should have gotten a picture in that suit!

So apparently things didn't go so smoothly with the C-section.  Dirk said at one point he wanted to call a safety time out, like they do on the oil rigs, and make sure everyone had what they needed and was in the right spot.  So I guess it got a little crazy.... the anesthesiologist was great to keep me distracted but I could tell it was taking a long time.   They rushed Dirk out and told me I had a bleed and they were calling in another doctor.  GREAT!!

So I had a bleed she couldn't control but after two hours, Dr. Ng was able to close me up.  I don't remember alot... I think I had a bad reaction either to the epidural or the pain/sedatives they gave me during the bleed.  I was trying to itch my face off and kept throwing up everywhere.  Poor Dylan, every time they brought him to me to feed, I almost threw up on him and they took him away.

Needless to say I was out of it for the first 48hours, they took Dylan to the NICU only because I couldn't feed him and wanted to monitor him more closely.  My pediatrician was wonderful and took care of him like he was his own.  He was at the hospital morning and night to check on him.  We finally established feeding and after four nights in the hospital, everyone was ready to go home!

Love at First Sight!
First time holding him. 

He looked right at me and Dirk caught this moment in time.

NICU-- finally feeling better
Dirk loved going to see him in the NICU, spent all his time there while I slept
Rough entry into the world!
Proud Daddy
Holding Daddy's finger.

I don't really remember the first 2 days, if I talked to you or sent you an email... not sure what I said??  But thank you everyone for all the support,  Dirk and I are blessed with awesome family and truly loyal friends!

I am getting really good at typing while holding a baby... hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment